At What Cost?

"How many have pulled down their souls to build up their estate?"
-Thomas Watson

I turned 25 today. I never get wigged out by turning another year older. I am usually excited, and love my birthday. I don't think I'll be one to have a "midlife crisis". I did have a moment of shame or embarrassment last night though, thinking about where I "should" be in life. My mom asked a good question though. She asked me if I would trade the last year, and trade Elliot, to be where people think I should be at in my life. No way in H E double hockey sticks! I would not trade Elliot for a million, trillion dollars! I can live with the debt I got myself into, and everything else, as long as I have God, my family, and my son.

Sure, I'd like to be out of debt sooner rather than later, but I don't have to let that desire drive me so much that I lose sight of the more important things. At my current rate, I can be out of debt in about 4 years. In four years, Elliot will be five. I don't want to look back in four years and wish I knew my son better.

Have you seen Madam Blueberry, the Veggie Tales movie? She is sad, so she goes to Stuff Mart and buys everything she sees, but none of it makes her any happier. There is a beautiful song in that movie that says, "A thankful heart is a happy heart. That's why I say thanks every day!" Madam blueberry sees a family celebrating their child's birthday. They only have one piece of cake and they are sharing it, and are happy. She realizes that it isn't what you have that makes you happy.

I'm 25. I have a lot of debt, and I live with my parents again. I had a career for 6 years, lived on my own and wasn't very happy. Honestly though, I am more happy with my life now than I have been in years. God blessed me with a wonderful, funny, smart, beautiful little boy...the desire of my heart. This has been the best birthday so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment